THE LIFE AND TIMES

THE LIFE AND TIMES
Meeeeeeeee

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just about that time


am i getting old or what? seems as though i get more and more tired these days... but i guess i did train 9 people today, and that my friends, is a long day if i may say so myself. sometimes i wonder if people really understand what my job is about. sure we get to wear our pajamas to work, yell at people to get on their hands and knees and give me 5 more, and criticize our clients on their sodium consumption....but there is so much more to personal training than just 50 minutes of belittling. to me, it's more of a case by case, i'm-gonna-help-you-figure-this-weight-loss-thing-out-if-it-nearly-kills-me kind of attitude i choose to take. each person to me, is a puzzle and a precious flower that needs tender care and handling. i do my best to get lost in every session and to put myself in each of my clients' shoes. some days i come home feeling more emotionally exhausted from the personal interest i take in my clients' goals, than the physical tiredness i experience from the rediculously heavy weights i attempt to lift. and i guess i could get by as a trainer that kind of cares about dr. so and so, or Mr. blah blah blah who spent all day arguing a case in court, or the Draper Mom who has been chasing her 3 kids around the house....but i can't help but get lost in each person's life, and each person's goals, family, interests, hobbies, talents, emotions, and vulnerabilities,....i believe that to truly help an individual with his or her personal health goals, i must also come to understand personal histories, insecurities, and strengths. and honestly, i can say with all of my heart, that it is my pleasure to do so. with every new client, i acquire a friend and an experience....i learn a new perspective which improves my ability to help future clients. i love my job. and for good reason, it wears me out. so now, this personal trainer/friend/therapist/weight lifter, is going to bed, probably falling slowly asleep to new exercizes being invented in the far reaches of my brain.

No comments:

Five More!

Five More!